Today Taylor had her 15 month check up with her cleft team. It is nice to get it all done in one day, but man, it's a long day! We have to be there by 8 am and it's an hour and a half drive so we have to leave by 6:30 am which means waking up at 5:30 at the latest! She saw her plastic surgeon and everything looks great with her palate! She had a hearing test and did well with that as well! The ENT checked her tubes and they looked great and also checked her nose and throat and said those looked good as well! The only thing there was some concern for was her speech. It was hard for them to really know how she's doing when she barely said anything while they were observing her. This was very odd because at home she is never quiet! She is always walking around singing and babbling while she plays. She says wow, mama, dada, bye bye, and has said uh oh a couple times. I realized after we got home that she also makes a 'g' sound now to which is exciting for a cleft baby!
The speech pathologist wanted me to call our local Birth to Three program and have them evaluate her. She said they may not take her, because she does babble a lot, but wanted to see if they would. I called and left a message and the coordinator called me back. One thing that she said that was odd to me was that they don't consider cleft an actual reason to need speech therapy, because cleft babies (according to her) usually develop the same as other kids speech wise. Also while I was on the phone with her Taylor was in the background jabbering away and the speech lady said she really doesn't think she will need it, but she is going to send me some paperwork to fill out and she will come and evaluate her. She will come to our house to evaluate her which will be nice cause hopefully Taylor will act more like her normal self to give them a more accurate idea of where she's really at. So we will see what happens when she gets evaluated. In the mean time I am going to make more of an effort to have specific play times with her and start reading books that encourage speech as opposed to just story books. I am hoping these small changes will make the difference!
Baby #2... I am almost 14 weeks pregnant now and doing well! Acne is still there, but a little better, and I do have a nice bump going. I also have started to have somewhat of a sore back which is no fun, but i'll try to get to the chiropractor soon and see if that helps! I can't wait to find out what we are having!! Only 6 more weeks!
15 Months and Feeling Fine!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment