Pumping

Because of Taylor's cleft she is unable to nurse. Therefore, if she is going to get breastmilk I have to pump. This is something I want to give my daughter because I know that it is what is best for her, especially considering the surgeries she is going to have to have.

If only nursing moms knew how easy they have it. It would be so nice to just be able to hold your baby to your breast and feed them instead of having to pump for thirty minutes and then feed your baby. Also, because I am soley pumping my supply is really low. There are times I only get an ounce and a half from a total session and she drinks 4-5 ounces per feeding. Therefore we have had to supplement with formula as well. It is hard because formula is so expensive and I know that breastmilk is the best thing for her, but at the same time I am getting really sick of having to pump every 3-4 hours.

On top of the inconvienence of pumping, it is painful! I have been battling a yeast infection in my breasts which make my nipples crack and makes pumping very painful. I have done everything the lactation consultant has said to do, and it still comes back. I have lowered my sugar intake, taken weeks of antibiotics, taken probiotic pills, used antifungal cream, I wash and disinfect my pump parts after each use, nothing has worked. It is so frustrating!

On top of that even though most nights she either sleeps through the night or only gets up once I have to get up several times to pump so I may be alseep for 8-10 hours but it only feels like I got 4 or 5 because I only get 4 hours or so at a time so I don't get much REM sleep. For this reason I am looking forward to our next baby and I am hoping and praying that he/she will not have cleft for these reasons and more!

0 comments:



Post a Comment